O…. He’s Back!
WE DARE YOU TO SAY HIS NAME FIVE TIMES
In 1992, Bernard Rose directed slasher film, The Candyman. The
movie follows Helen Lyle, played by Virginia Madsen, as she researches
urban legends. This particular urban legend follows the Candyman, who
when alive, was lynched. The significant thing about his death was that he
was smeared with honey, hung upside down, and stung to death by bees.
Lyle does not believe in the urban legend, but later finds out that the
Candyman is very much alive, and can be summoned by saying his name
Fast forward to June 12th, 2020...Jordan Peele, who wrote and
produced the hit movies Get Out and Us, is remaking Candyman along with Win Rosefield. Sources say the movie won’t be a remake, but a sequel to the original film. Here is what we know:
(1) The neighborhood in the movie will be a mixed neighborhood and in no
way related to the Cabrini Green housing project, like in the first film.
(2) Candyman is one of Peele’s favorite films so he will probably be very
picky about the new film.
(3) The film stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who starred in Aqua Man.
(4) The original Candyman, Tony Todd, may or may not return. Peele was
seen eating lunch with Todd. So we wonder...Was Peele doing research or
talking to him about his new role?
(5) The movie is currently being filmed in Chicago.
Candyman. Candyman. Candyman. Candyman. Candy…
Well, we will have to wait and see!