Bachelor in Paradise Incident
Whether you follow the Bachelor franchise or not, it has been nearly impossible to ignore the growing scandal of misconduct and sexual assault circling within the media over the past few days. The filming of Bachelor in Paradise was suspended on June 11th after “allegations of misconduct” had surfaced.
“We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action,” was the statement released by Warner Bros. executives.
Corrine Olympios, who appeared on the 21st season of the Bachelor with Nick Viall and Demario Jackson, who is currently on the season 13 of the Bachelorette with Rachel Lindsay, joined 14 other cast mates in Sayulita, Mexico. Allegedly, on the night of June 4th, Olympios and Jackson got “hot and heavy” in the pool while cameras were rolling. While the details of the night are still unclear, reports say that Jackson began inappropriately touching the Bachelor alum while she was visibly inebriated. Supposedly, a field producer saw footage of the pool scene the next day and filed a formal complaint after feeling uncomfortable with what she saw.
On June 14th, 10 days after the incident both parties released their first statements. The 25 year old hired famed lawyer Marty Singer and a publicist to handle her case. In her statement, she said “I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4.” She continued with saying "Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production."
A few hours after that statement, the Bachelorette alum released his own statement on the way events had unfolded. In a statement released to E! News through Jackson’s publicist, the Season 13 cast mate states “It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” and adds “I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”
Neither party has seen the footage of that night and it has been reported that Demario Jackson has been fired from his job. The former executive recruiter says he doesn't blame anyone about the growing scandal but he would like the tapes released to the public. In an interview with Inside Edition, the 30 year old states, “I feel like the truth will be able to come out in those videos.”
Many are now looking at the role producers may have played in the events that took place and questions are being asked regarding how the “readily available” alcohol is used to influence cast members into questionable, but highly profitable scenarios.
While there are many questions still unanswered, it is clear that the events of June 4th will play out in the media for all to see.
More information will be provided as the story develops.